As we grow, our bodies change; this may
affect the position of your teeth.
Why do I need retainers?
Your retainers are a very important stage of your treatment. As we grow, our bodies change; this may affect the position of your teeth. All teeth move throughout it is called mesial drift. Your retainers will minimise the risk of your teeth moving from their current position. It is YOUR responsibility to look after your retainers and to wear them exactly as instructed.
When do I wear my retainers?
- Your retainers must be worn EVERY NIGHT for AT LEAST 11-12 hours, unless otherwise instructed by the clinician/orthodontic nurse.
- They are a long-term commitment and we will never tell you to stop wearing them; remember teeth ALWAYS have the potential to move.
- Everyone’s teeth are different, and some peoples have more potential to move than others. If your retainers start to feel tight it is because your teeth are moving; increase the wear until your retainers feel comfortable again.
- We will see you 3 months after your braces have come off and then 9 months after that to monitor your retainer wear and check you are still happy with the fit of your retainers. You must bring your retainers to this appointment.
- If you do not wear your retainers as instructed it is very likely that your teeth will move, which will result in your retainers no longer fitting. If this happens contact the practice straight away.
How do I look after my retainers?
- Your retainers must be taken out for eating, drinking anything other than water, cleaning and sports.
- Clean your retainers with cold water and a toothbrush. Do not use hot water and don’t use toothpaste as this can distort the retainers and make them brittle. ‘Retainer Brite’ tablets are available to buy on reception to soak your retainers in once a fortnight to keep them fresh.
- Always clean your teeth before putting your retainers in.
- Store your retainers in a sealed container so you do not lose or damage them.
- If you lose, damage, break your retainers, or they do not fit anymore, you will need to pay for new ones. Contact us straight away to arrange for some new impressions or scans to be taken.